Authority or liberty given to do or forbear any act; especially, a formal permission from the proper authorities to perform certain acts or to carry on a certain business, which without such permission would be illegal; a grant of permission; as, a license to preach, to practice medicine, to sell gunpowder or intoxicating liquors.
- Official or legal permission to do or own a specified thing. See Synonyms at permission.
- A document, plate, or tag that is issued as proof of official or legal permission: a driver's license.
- Deviation from normal rules, practices, or methods in order to achieve a certain end or effect.
- Latitude of action, especially in behavior or speech. See Synonyms at freedom.
- Lack of due restraint; excessive freedom: "When liberty becomes license, dictatorship is near” ( Will Durant).
- Heedlessness for the precepts of proper behavior; licentiousness.
- To give or yield permission to or for.
- To grant a license to or for; authorize. See Synonyms at authorize.