A peculiar benefit, advantage, or favor; a right or immunity not enjoyed by others or by all; special enjoyment of a good, or exemption from an evil or burden; a prerogative; advantage; franchise.
- A special advantage, immunity, permission, right, or benefit granted to or enjoyed by an individual, class, or caste. See Synonyms at right.
- Such an advantage, immunity, or right held as a prerogative of status or rank, and exercised to the exclusion or detriment of others.
- The principle of granting and maintaining a special right or immunity: a society based on privilege.
- Law The right to privileged communication in a confidential relationship, as between client and attorney, patient and physician, or communicant and priest.
- An option to buy or sell a stock, including put, call, spread, and straddle.
- To grant a privilege to.
- To free or exempt.