To give cetain information to; to assure; to make certain.
- To confirm formally as true, accurate, or genuine.
- To guarantee as meeting a standard: butter that was certified Grade A. See Synonyms at approve.
- To acknowledge in writing on the face of (a check) that the signature of the maker is genuine and that there are sufficient funds on deposit for its payment.
- To issue a license or certificate to.
- To declare to be in need of psychiatric treatment or confinement.
- Archaic To inform positively; assure.
- To testify: certify to the facts.