An assembly of persons wearing masks, and amusing themselves with dancing, conversation, or other diversions.
- A costume party at which masks are worn; a masked ball. Also called masque.
- A costume for such a party or ball.
- A disguise or false outward show; a pretense: a masquerade of humility.
- An involved scheme; a charade.
- To wear a mask or disguise, as at a masquerade: She masqueraded as a shepherd.
- To go about as if in disguise; have or put on a deceptive appearance: The stowaway masqueraded as a crew member.