The act of laying claim; the claim laid; assumption; pretension.
- The act of pretending; a false appearance or action intended to deceive.
- A false or studied show; an affectation: a pretense of nonchalance.
- A professed but feigned reason or excuse; a pretext: under false pretenses.
- Something imagined or pretended.
- Mere show without reality; outward appearance.
- A right asserted with or without foundation; a claim. See Synonyms at claim.
- The quality or state of being pretentious; ostentation.