A heavy wooden hammer or beetle.
- A heavy, long-handled hammer used especially to drive stakes, piles, or wedges.
- A heavy hammer having a wedge-shaped head and used for splitting logs.
- Sports A play in Rugby in which a mass of players gathers around a ball carrier being tackled and attempts to gain possession of the ball when it is released.
- Sports The mass of players during such a play.
- To injure by or as if by beating: The boxer mauled the other fighter. The critics mauled the novelist's first effort. See Synonyms at batter1.
- To handle roughly: The package was mauled by the careless messenger.
- To split (wood) with a maul and wedge.