A word; an oral utterance.
- Law The release of a prisoner whose term has not expired on condition of sustained lawful behavior that is subject to regular monitoring by an officer of the law for a set period of time.
- Law The duration of such conditional release.
- A password used by an officer of the day, an officer on guard, or the personnel commanded by such an officer.
- Word of honor, especially that of a prisoner of war who is granted freedom only after promising not to engage in combat until formally exchanged.
- Linguistics The act of speaking; a particular utterance or word.
- To release (a prisoner) on parole.