The limit or exterior line encompassing a place; a boundary; a confine; limit of jurisdiction or authority; -- often in the plural; as, the precincts of a state.
- A subdivision or district of a city or town under the jurisdiction of or patrolled by a specific unit of its police force.
- The police station situated in and having jurisdiction over such a district.
- An election district of a city or town.
- A place or enclosure marked off by definite limits, such as walls. Often used in the plural: the mysterious precincts of the old monastery.
- A boundary: Hunting is not allowed within the precincts of the estate.
- The neighborhood or surrounding area; the environs.
- An area of thought or action; a province or domain. Often used in the plural: "It was in these spacious precincts that Dryden's imagination was most at home” ( Mark Van Doren).