To cleanse, clear, or purify by separating and carrying off whatever is impure, heterogeneous, foreign, or superfluous.
- To free from impurities; purify.
- To remove (impurities and other elements) by or as if by cleansing.
- To rid of sin, guilt, or defilement.
- Law To clear (a person) of a charge or an imputation. Often used with respect to contempt of court.
- To rid (a nation or political party, for example) of people considered undesirable.
- To get rid of (people considered undesirable). See Synonyms at eliminate.
- Medicine To cause evacuation of (the bowels).
- Medicine To induce evacuation of the bowels in (an individual).
- To become pure or clean.
- Medicine To undergo or cause an emptying of the bowels.
- The act or process of purging.
- Something that purges, especially a medicinal purgative.