To extend from a common point in different directions; to tend from one point and recede from each other; to tend to spread apart; to turn aside or deviate (as from a given direction); -- opposed to converge; as, rays of light diverge as they proceed from the sun.
- To go or extend in different directions from a common point; branch out.
- To differ, as in opinion or manner.
- To depart from a set course or norm; deviate. See Synonyms at swerve.
- Mathematics To fail to approach a limit.
- To cause (light rays, for example) to diverge; deflect.