Living or being by one's self; having no companion present; being without associates; single; alone; lonely.
- Existing, living, or going without others; alone: a solitary traveler. See Synonyms at alone.
- Happening, done, or made alone: a solitary evening; solitary pursuits such as reading and sewing.
- Remote from civilization; secluded: a solitary retreat.
- Having no companions; lonesome or lonely.
- Zoology Living alone or in pairs only: solitary wasps; solitary sparrows.
- Single and set apart from others: a solitary instance of cowardice.
- A person who lives alone; a recluse.
- Solitary confinement.