Not divided, or not to be divided; existing as one entity, or distinct being or object; single; one; as, an individual man, animal, or city.
- Of or relating to an individual, especially a single human: individual consciousness.
- By or for one person: individual work; an individual portion.
- Existing as a distinct entity; separate: individual drops of rain.
- Marked by or expressing individuality; distinctive or individualistic: an individual way of dressing.
- Special; particular: Each variety of melon has its individual flavor and texture.
- Serving to identify or set apart: "There was nothing individual about him except a deep scar ... across his right cheek” ( Rebecca West).
- A single human considered apart from a society or community: the rights of the individual.
- A human regarded as a unique personality: always treated her clients as individuals.
- A person distinguished from others by a special quality.
- Usage Problem A person.
- A single animal or plant as distinguished from a species, community, or group.
- A member of a collection or set; a specimen.