Any one of numerous species of Spongiæ, or Porifera. See Illust. and Note under Spongiæ.
- Any of numerous aquatic, chiefly marine invertebrate animals of the phylum Porifera, characteristically having a porous skeleton composed of fibrous material or siliceous or calcareous spicules and often forming irregularly shaped colonies attached to an underwater surface.
- The light, fibrous, flexible, absorbent skeleton of certain of these organisms, used for bathing, cleaning, and other purposes.
- Porous plastics, rubber, cellulose, or other material, similar in absorbency to this skeleton and used for the same purposes.
- Metal in a porous, brittle form, as after the removal of other metals in processing, used as a raw material in manufacturing.
- A gauze pad used to absorb blood and other fluids, as in surgery or the dressing of a wound.
- A small absorbent contraceptive pad that contains a spermicide and is placed against the cervix of the uterus before sexual intercourse.
- Dough that has been or is being leavened.
- A light cake, such as sponge cake.
- A sponge bath.
- One who habitually depends on others for one's own maintenance.
- Informal A glutton.
- Slang A drunkard.
- To moisten, wipe, or clean with or as if with a sponge: sponge off the table.
- To wipe out; erase.
- To absorb with or as if with a sponge: sponge up the mess.
- Informal To obtain free: sponge a meal.
- To fish for sponges.
- Informal To live by relying on the generosity of others: sponged off her parents.
Malayalam MeaningTransliteration ON/OFF | Not Correct/Proper?
കടല്പ്പഞ്ഞി - Kadalppanji ;നീരൊപ്പുക - Neeroppuka ;നീരൊപ്പുക - Neeroppuka ;സൂത്രത്തിൽ കൈവശപ്പെടുത്തുക - Soothraththil Kaivashappeduththuka | Soothrathil Kaivashappeduthuka ;നീരുവലിച്ചെടുക്കുക - Neeruvalichedukkuka ;ഉരുകിയ ഇരുമ്പ് - Urukiya Irumpu ;