The act of symbolizing, or the state of being symbolized; as, symbolism in Christian art is the representation of truth, virtues, vices, etc., by emblematic colors, signs, and forms.
- The practice of representing things by means of symbols or of attributing symbolic meanings or significance to objects, events, or relationships.
- A system of symbols or representations.
- A symbolic meaning or representation.
- Revelation or suggestion of intangible conditions or truths by artistic invention.
- The movement, theory, or practice of the late 19th-century Symbolists.