Anything proposed for imitation; an archetype; an exemplar; that which is to be, or is worthy to be, copied or imitated; as, a pattern of a machine.
- A model or original used as an archetype.
- A person or thing considered worthy of imitation.
- A plan, diagram, or model to be followed in making things: a dress pattern. See Synonyms at ideal.
- A representative sample; a specimen.
- An artistic or decorative design: a paisley pattern. See Synonyms at figure.
- A design of natural or accidental origin: patterns of bird formations.
- A consistent, characteristic form, style, or method, as:
- A composite of traits or features characteristic of an individual or a group: one's pattern of behavior.
- Form and style in an artistic work or body of artistic works.
- The configuration of gunshots upon a target that is used as an indication of skill in shooting.
- The distribution and spread, around a targeted region, of spent shrapnel, bomb fragments, or shot from a shotgun.
- Enough material to make a complete garment.
- A test pattern.
- The flight path of an aircraft about to land: a flight pattern.
- Football A pass pattern.
- To make, mold, or design by following a pattern: We patterned this plan on the previous one. My daughter patterned her military career after her father's.
- To cover or ornament with a design or pattern.
- To make a pattern.