A beat of drum, or sound of a trumpet or bugle, at night, giving notice to soldiers to retreat, or to repair to their quarters in garrison, or to their tents in camp.
- A signal sounded on a drum or bugle to summon soldiers or sailors to their quarters at night.
- A display of military exercises offered as evening entertainment.
- A continuous, even drumming or rapping.
- To beat out an even rhythm, as with the fingers.
- To beat or tap rhythmically on; rap or drum on.
- A permanent mark or design made on the skin by a process of pricking and ingraining an indelible pigment or by raising scars.
- A design made on the skin with a temporary dye such as henna or ink.
- To mark (the skin) with a tattoo.
- To form (a tattoo) on the skin.