In an erect position or posture; perpendicular; vertical, or nearly vertical; pointing upward; as, an upright tree.
- Being in a vertical position or direction: an upright post. See Synonyms at vertical.
- Erect in posture or carriage: "She sat with grim determination, upright as a darning needle stuck in a board” ( Harriet Beecher Stowe).
- Adhering strictly to moral principles; righteous.
- Vertically: walk upright.
- A perpendicular position; verticality.
- Something, such as a goalpost, that stands upright.
- An upright piano.
- To restore to an upright position: The tow truck uprighted the overturned tractor trailer.