The act or art of forming letters and characters on paper, wood, stone, or other material, for the purpose of recording the ideas which characters and words express, or of communicating them to others by visible signs.
- The act of one who writes.
- Written form: Put it in writing.
- Handwriting; penmanship.
- Something written, especially:
- Meaningful letters or characters that constitute readable matter.
- A written work, especially a literary composition.
- The occupation or style of a writer.
- Bible The third of the three divisions of the Hebrew Scriptures, composed of Psalms, Proverbs, Job, Song of Solomon, Ruth, Lamentations, Ecclesiastes, Esther, Daniel, Ezra, Nehemiah, and Chronicles. See Table at Bible.