Anything that hangs so as to play loosely, or with a short abrupt motion, as at the end of a string; a pendant; as, the bob at the end of a kite's tail.
- To hit lightly and quickly; tap.
- To cause to move up and down: bobbed my head in response to the question.
- To move up and down: a cork bobbing on the water.
- To grab at floating or hanging objects with the teeth: bobbed for apples.
- To curtsy or bow.
- A tap or light blow.
- A quick, jerky movement of the head or body.
- bob up To appear or arise unexpectedly or suddenly.
- A small, knoblike pendent object, such as a plumb bob.
- A fishing float or cork.
- A small lock or curl of hair.
- A woman's or child's short haircut.
- Informal Surgical shortening or reshaping of the nose.
- The docked tail of a horse.
- A bobsled.
- A bob skate.
- To fish with a bob.
- To cut short or reshape: bobbed her hair; had his nose bobbed.
- Chiefly British A shilling.