A prisoner taken by force or stratagem, esp., by an enemy, in war; one kept in bondage or in the power of another.
- One, such as a prisoner of war, who is forcibly confined, subjugated, or enslaved.
- One held in the grip of a strong emotion or passion.
- Taken and held prisoner, as in war.
- Held in bondage; enslaved.
- Kept under restraint or control; confined: captive birds.
- Restrained by circumstances that prevent free choice: a captive audience; a captive market.
- Enraptured, as by beauty; captivated.