The act of seizing by force, or getting possession of by superior power or by stratagem; as, the capture of an enemy, a vessel, or a criminal.
- To take captive, as by force or craft; seize.
- To gain possession or control of, as in a game or contest: capture the queen in chess; captured the liberal vote.
- To attract and hold: tales of adventure that capture the imagination.
- To succeed in preserving in lasting form: capture a likeness in a painting.
- The act of catching, taking, or winning, as by force or skill.
- One that has been seized, caught, or won; a catch or prize.
- Physics The phenomenon in which an atom or a nucleus absorbs a subatomic particle, often with the subsequent emission of radiation.