A receding from each other in moving from a common center; the state of being divergent; as, an angle is made by the divergence of straight lines.
- The act of diverging.
- The state of being divergent.
- The degree by which things diverge.
- Physiology A turning of both eyes outward from a common point or of one eye when the other is fixed.
- Departure from a norm; deviation.
- Difference, as of opinion. See Synonyms at deviation, difference.
- Biology The evolutionary tendency or process by which animals or plants that are descended from a common ancestor evolve into different forms when living under different conditions.
- Mathematics The property or manner of diverging; failure to approach a limit.
- A meteorological condition characterized by the uniform expansion in volume of a mass of air over a region, usually accompanied by fair dry weather.