Pertaining to the foundation or basis; serving for the foundation. Hence: Essential, as an element, principle, or law; important; original; elementary; as, a fundamental truth; a fundamental axiom.
- Of or relating to the foundation or base; elementary: the fundamental laws of the universe.
- Forming or serving as an essential component of a system or structure; central: an example that was fundamental to the argument.
- Of great significance or entailing major change: a book that underwent fundamental revision.
- Physics Of or relating to the component of lowest frequency of a periodic wave or quantity.
- Physics Of or relating to the lowest possible frequency of a vibrating element or system.
- Music Having the root in the bass: a fundamental chord.
- Something that is an essential or necessary part of a system or object.
- Music The first harmonic in a harmonic series; the lowest harmonic.
- Physics The lowest frequency of a periodically varying quantity or of a vibrating system.