A kind of coarse twilled cotton or cotton and linen stuff, including corduroy, velveteen, etc.
- A coarse sturdy cloth made of cotton and flax.
- Any of several thick twilled cotton fabrics, such as corduroy, having a short nap.
- Pretentious speech or writing; pompous language.
- Made of or as if of fustian: "[He] disliked the heavy, fustian ... and brocaded decor of Soviet officialdom” ( Frederick Forsyth).
- Pompous, bombastic, and ranting: "Yossarian was unmoved by the fustian charade of the burial ceremony” ( Joseph Heller).