One who governs; especially, one who is invested with the supreme executive authority in a State; a chief ruler or magistrate; as, the governor of Pennsylvania.
- A person who governs, especially:
- The chief executive of a state in the United States.
- An official appointed to govern a colony or territory.
- A member of a governing body.
- The manager or administrative head of an organization, business, or institution.
- A military commandant.
- Chiefly British Used as a form of polite address for a man.
- A feedback device on a machine or engine that is used to provide automatic control, as of speed, pressure, or temperature.