A servant; a subordinate; an officer or assistant of inferior rank; hence, an agent, an instrument.
- One who is authorized to perform religious functions in a Christian church, especially a Protestant church.
- Roman Catholic Church The superior in certain orders.
- A high officer of state appointed to head an executive or administrative department of government.
- An authorized diplomatic representative of a government, usually ranking next below an ambassador.
- A person serving as an agent for another by carrying out specified orders or functions.
- To attend to the wants and needs of others: Volunteers ministered to the homeless after the flood. See Synonyms at tend2.
- To perform the functions of a cleric.
- To administer or dispense (a sacrament, for example).