The act of governing; the exercise of authority; the administration of laws; control; direction; regulation; as, civil, church, or family government.
- The act or process of governing, especially the control and administration of public policy in a political unit.
- The office, function, or authority of a governing individual or body.
- Exercise of authority in a political unit; rule.
- The agency or apparatus through which a governing individual or body functions and exercises authority.
- A governing body or organization, as:
- The ruling political party or coalition of political parties in a parliamentary system.
- The cabinet in a parliamentary system.
- The persons who make up a governing body.
- A system or policy by which a political unit is governed.
- Administration or management of an organization, business, or institution.
- Political science.
- Grammar The influence of a word over the morphological inflection of another word in a phrase or sentence.