To direct and control, as the actions or conduct of men, either by established laws or by arbitrary will; to regulate by authority.
- To make and administer the public policy and affairs of; exercise sovereign authority in.
- To control the speed or magnitude of; regulate: a valve that governs fuel intake.
- To control the actions or behavior of: Govern yourselves like civilized people.
- To keep under control; restrain: a student who could not govern his impulses.
- To exercise a deciding or determining influence on: Chance usually governs the outcome of the game.
- Grammar To require (a specific morphological form) of accompanying words.
- To exercise political authority.
- To have or exercise a determining influence.