The horny substance or case that covers or terminates the feet of certain animals, as horses, oxen, etc.
- The horny sheath covering the toes or lower part of the foot of a mammal of the orders Perissodactyla and Artiodactyla, such as a horse, ox, or deer.
- The foot of such an animal, especially a horse.
- Slang The human foot.
- To trample with the hoofs.
- Slang To dance, especially as a professional.
- Slang To go on foot; walk.
- hoof it Slang To walk.
- hoof it Slang To dance.
- on the hoof Not yet butchered; alive. Used especially of cattle.