To prove or show to be just; to vindicate; to maintain or defend as conformable to law, right, justice, propriety, or duty.
- To demonstrate or prove to be just, right, or valid: justified each budgetary expense as necessary; anger that is justified by the circumstances.
- To declare free of blame; absolve.
- To free (a human) of the guilt and penalty attached to grievous sin. Used of God.
- Law To demonstrate sufficient legal reason for (an action taken).
- Law To prove to be qualified as a bondsman.
- Printing To adjust the spacing within (lines in a document, for example), so that the lines end evenly at a straight margin.
- Printing To be adjusted in spacing so as to end evenly at the margin.