To lay claim to; to assert a right to; to claim.
- To clear of accusation, blame, suspicion, or doubt with supporting arguments or proof: "Our society permits people to sue for libel so that they may vindicate their reputations” ( Irving R. Kaufman).
- To provide justification or support for: vindicate one's claim.
- To justify or prove the worth of, especially in light of later developments.
- To defend, maintain, or insist on the recognition of (one's rights, for example).
- To exact revenge for; avenge.