One who, by his death, bears witness to the truth of the gospel; one who is put to death for his religion; as, Stephen was the first Christian martyr.
- One who chooses to suffer death rather than renounce religious principles.
- One who makes great sacrifices or suffers much in order to further a belief, cause, or principle.
- One who endures great suffering: a martyr to arthritis.
- One who makes a great show of suffering in order to arouse sympathy.
- To make a martyr of, especially to put to death for devotion to religious beliefs.
- To inflict great pain on; torment.