A conveyance of property, upon condition, as security for the payment of a debt or the preformance of a duty, and to become void upon payment or performance according to the stipulated terms; also, the written instrument by which the conveyance is made.
- A temporary, conditional pledge of property to a creditor as security for performance of an obligation or repayment of a debt.
- A contract or deed specifying the terms of a mortgage.
- The claim of a mortgagee upon mortgaged property.
- To pledge or convey (property) by means of a mortgage.
- To make subject to a claim or risk; pledge against a doubtful outcome: mortgaged their political careers by taking an unpopular stand.