The act of insuring, or assuring, against loss or damage by a contingent event; a contract whereby, for a stipulated consideration, called premium, one party undertakes to indemnify or guarantee another against loss by certain specified risks. Cf. Assurance,
- The act, business, or system of insuring.
- The state of being insured.
- A means of being insured.
- Coverage by a contract binding a party to indemnify another against specified loss in return for premiums paid.
- The sum or rate for which such a contract insures something.
- The periodic premium paid for this coverage.
- A protective measure: biking helmets that provide insurance against a head injury.
- Sports Of, relating to, or being a score that increases a team's lead enough to prevent the opposing team from tying the game with one more score: an insurance run.