The act of opposing; an attempt to check, restrain, or defeat; resistance.
- The act of opposing or resisting.
- The condition of being in conflict; antagonism: "The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself” ( Virginia Woolf).
- Placement opposite to or in contrast with another.
- Something that serves as an obstacle.
- A political party or an organized group opposed to the group, party, or government in power.
- Astronomy The position of two celestial bodies when their longitude differs by 180°, especially a configuration in which Earth lies on a straight line between the sun and a superior planet or the moon.
- Astronomy The position of the superior planet or the moon in this configuration.
- Logic The relation existing between two propositions having an identical subject and predicate but differing in quantity, quality, or both.
- Linguistics Contrast in a language between two phonemes or other linguistically important elements.