A writing in which the language or sentiment of an author is mimicked; especially, a kind of literary pleasantry, in which what is written on one subject is altered, and applied to another by way of burlesque; travesty.
- A literary or artistic work that imitates the characteristic style of an author or a work for comic effect or ridicule. See Synonyms at caricature.
- The genre of literature comprising such works.
- Something so bad as to be equivalent to intentional mockery; a travesty: The trial was a parody of justice.
- Music The practice of reworking an already established composition, especially the incorporation into the Mass of material borrowed from other works, such as motets or madrigals.
- To make a parody of. See Synonyms at imitate.