A dramatic composition, or representation of a bright and amusing character, based upon the foibles of individuals, the manners of society, or the ludicrous events or accidents of life; a play in which mirth predominates and the termination of the plot is happy; -- opposed to tragedy.
- A dramatic work that is light and often humorous or satirical in tone and that usually contains a happy resolution of the thematic conflict.
- The genre made up of such works.
- A literary or cinematic work of a comic nature or that uses the themes or methods of comedy.
- Popular entertainment composed of jokes, satire, or humorous performance.
- The art of composing or performing comedy.
- A humorous element of life or literature: the human comedy of political campaigns.
- A humorous occurrence.
- comedy of errors A ludicrous event or sequence of events: The candidate's campaign turned out to be a political comedy of errors.