Penal retribution; punishment for crime or offense; the suffering in person or property which is annexed by law or judicial decision to the commission of a crime, offense, or trespass.
- A punishment established by law or authority for a crime or offense.
- Something, especially a sum of money, required as a forfeit for an offense.
- The disadvantage or painful consequences resulting from an action or condition: neglected his health and paid the penalty.
- Sports A punishment, handicap, or loss of advantage imposed on a team or competitor for infraction of a rule.
- Sports An infraction of a rule; a foul.
- Games Points scored in contract bridge by the opponents when the declarer fails to make a bid. Often used in the plural.