That which is borne or carried; a load.
- Something that is carried.
- Something that is emotionally difficult to bear.
- A source of great worry or stress; weight: The burden of economic sacrifice rests on the workers of the plant.
- A responsibility or duty: The burden of organizing the campaign fell to me.
- Nautical The amount of cargo that a vessel can carry.
- Nautical The weight of the cargo carried by a vessel at one time.
- The amount of a disease-causing entity present in an organism.
- To weigh down; oppress.
- To load or overload.
- A principal or recurring idea; a theme: "The burden of what he said was to defend enthusiastically the conservative aristocracy” ( J.A. Froude). See Synonyms at substance.
- Music The chorus or refrain of a composition, especially of a 15th-century carol.
- Music A drone, as of a bagpipe or pedal point.
- Archaic Music The bass accompaniment to a song.