The position of the body; the situation or disposition of the several parts of the body with respect to each other, or for a particular purpose; especially (Fine Arts), the position of a figure with regard to the several principal members by which action is expressed; attitude.
- A position of the body or of body parts: a sitting posture.
- An attitude; a pose: assumed a posture of angry defiance.
- A characteristic way of bearing one's body; carriage: stood with good posture.
- Relative placement or arrangement: the posture of the buildings on the land.
- A stance or disposition with regard to something: "Those bases are essential to our military posture in the Middle East” ( Gerard Smith).
- A frame of mind affecting one's thoughts or behavior; an overall attitude.
- To assume an exaggerated or unnatural pose or mental attitude; attitudinize.
- To assume a pose.
- To put into a specific posture; pose.