The act of one who, or that which, sets; as, the setting of type, or of gems; the setting of the sun; the setting (hardening) of moist plaster of Paris; the setting (set) of a current.
- The position, direction, or way in which something, such as an automatic control, is set.
- The context and environment in which a situation is set; the background.
- The time, place, and circumstances in which a narrative, drama, or film takes place.
- Music A composition written or arranged to fit a text, such as a poetical work.
- A mounting, as for a jewel.
- A place setting.
- A set of eggs in a hen's nest.