To ask from with earnestness; to make petition to; to apply to for obtaining something; as, to solicit person for alms.
- To seek to obtain by persuasion, entreaty, or formal application: a candidate who solicited votes among the factory workers.
- To petition persistently; importune: solicited the neighbors for donations.
- To entice or incite to evil or illegal action.
- To approach or accost (a person) with an offer of sexual services.
- To make solicitation or petition for something desired.
- To approach or accost someone with an offer of sexual services in return for payment.