A small pond or pool where fish are kept for the table; a vivarium.
- To cook (food) by simmering or boiling slowly.
- To undergo cooking by boiling slowly or simmering. See Synonyms at boil1.
- Informal To suffer with oppressive heat or stuffy confinement; swelter.
- Informal To be in a state of anxiety or agitation. See Synonyms at brood.
- A dish cooked by stewing, especially a mixture of meat or fish and vegetables with stock.
- A mixture likened to this dish.
- Informal Mental agitation: in a stew over the lost keys.
- Archaic A brothel. Often used in the plural.