To cook in a pan or on a griddle (esp. with the use of fat, butter, or olive oil) by heating over a fire; to cook in boiling lard or fat; as, to fry fish; to fry doughnuts.
- To cook over direct heat in hot oil or fat.
- Slang To destroy (electronic circuitry) with excessive heat or current: "a power surge to the computer that fried a number of sensitive electronic components” ( Erik Sandberg-Diment).
- To be cooked in a pan over direct heat in hot oil or fat.
- Slang To undergo execution in an electric chair.
- A French fry. Often used in the plural.
- A dish of a fried food.
- A social gathering at which food is fried and eaten: a fish fry.
- Small fish, especially young, recently hatched fish.
- The young of certain other animals.
- Individuals, especially young or insignificant persons: "These pampered public school boys . . . had managed to evade the long prison sentences that lesser fry were serving” ( Noel Annan).