To cook by exposure to radiant heat before a fire; as, to roast meat on a spit, or in an oven open toward the fire and having reflecting surfaces within; also, to cook in a close oven.
- To cook with dry heat, as in an oven or near hot coals.
- To dry, brown, or parch by exposing to heat.
- To expose to great or excessive heat.
- Metallurgy To heat (ores) in a furnace in order to dehydrate, purify, or oxidize before smelting.
- Informal To ridicule or criticize harshly.
- Informal To honor at or subject to a roast.
- To cook food in an oven.
- To undergo roasting.
- Something roasted.
- A cut of meat suitable or prepared for roasting.
- The act or process of roasting.
- The state of being roasted.
- Harsh ridicule or criticism.
- A facetious tribute, as at a banquet, in which the honoree is alternately praised and insulted.
- Roasted: roast duck.