The art of healing by manual operation; that branch of medical science which treats of manual operations for the healing of diseases or injuries of the body; that branch of medical science which has for its object the cure of local injuries or diseases, as wounds or fractures, tumors, etc., whether by manual operation or by medicines and constitutional treatment.
- The branch of medicine that deals with the diagnosis and treatment of injury, deformity, and disease by manual and instrumental means.
- A surgical operation or procedure, especially one involving the removal or replacement of a diseased organ or tissue.
- An operating room or a laboratory of a surgeon or of a hospital's surgical staff.
- The skill or work of a surgeon.
- Chiefly British A physician's, dentist's, or veterinarian's office.
- Chiefly British The period during which a physician, dentist, or veterinarian consults with or treats patients in the office.