The act or process of operating; agency; the exertion of power, physical, mechanical, or moral.
- The act or process of operating or functioning.
- The state of being operative or functional: a factory in operation.
- A process or series of acts involved in a particular form of work: the operation of building a house.
- An instance or method of efficient, productive activity: That restaurant is quite an operation.
- An unethical or illegal business: a fencing operation for stolen goods.
- Medicine A surgical procedure for remedying an injury, ailment, defect, or dysfunction.
- Mathematics A process or action, such as addition, substitution, transposition, or differentiation, performed in a specified sequence and in accordance with specific rules.
- A logical operation.
- Computer Science An action resulting from a single instruction.
- A military or naval action, campaign, or mission.
- The headquarters or center from which a military action, flights into and out of an airfield, or other activities are controlled.
- The division of an organization that carries out the major planning and operating functions.