To change the form of; to change in shape or appearance; to metamorphose; as, a caterpillar is ultimately transformed into a butterfly.
- To change markedly the appearance or form of: "A thick, fibrous fog had transformed the trees into ghosts and the streetlights into soft, haloed moons” ( David Michael Kaplan).
- To change the nature, function, or condition of; convert. See Synonyms at convert.
- Mathematics To subject to a transformation.
- Electricity To subject to the action of a transformer.
- Genetics To subject (a cell) to transformation.
- To undergo a transformation.
- The result, especially a mathematical quantity or linguistic construction, of a transformation.