The front of an army; the first line or leading column; also, the front line or foremost division of a fleet, either in sailing or in battle.
- An enclosed boxlike motor vehicle having rear or side doors and side panels especially for transporting people.
- A covered or enclosed truck or wagon often used for transporting goods or livestock.
- Chiefly British A closed railroad car used for carrying baggage or freight.
- To transport by van: vanned the horses to the racetrack.
- To drive or travel in a van: vanned around the country.
- The vanguard; the forefront.
- A wing.
- Archaic A winnowing device, such as a fan.