- To destroy or kill with a burst of gunfire, flame, or electric current.
- To kill or destroy as if by shooting.
- To strike suddenly and forcefully as if with a projectile or weapon: "His . . . narrative runs marvelously on and on, zapping the reader with often surprising and . . . painful glimpses” ( Publishers Weekly).
- To expose to radiation; irradiate: "perfect for those who can't bring themselves to zap food in a microwave” ( John F. Mariani).
- To attack (an enemy) with heavy firepower; strafe or bombard.
- To use a remote control device to switch (channels on a television) or to turn off (a television set).
- To move swiftly; zoom.
- Something that imparts excitement or great interest.
- Used to imitate a sound made by a gun when fired.
- Used to indicate a sudden occurrence.